Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Biblical Verses Cultural Christianity

I have often pondered how much the church has soaked up the culture to the point of losing it's distinction from the world. In doing this I have had to examine my own life and see where I am guilty in this regard. Intersting that I would find this comparison chart between biblical and cultural Christianity. I have to admit that as I read it I found myslef in the wrong column on a few of the catigories. I think it's always a good idea to be involved in personal spiritual inventory so give it a look and don't be surprised if it's a bit surprising and convicting. I have discovered that I have many blind spots that in part is the result of buying into much of what the church has been dishing out through the years in the spirit of being appealing to everyone. Jesus never told us to try and get everyone to like us. As a matter of fact, He said many would hate us for what we believe.

Remember the words I spoke to you: `No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. - John 15:20

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." - Matt. 5:11

"But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. - Luke 21:12

There are many, many more. I guess the point is that our main focus is not to be people pleasers but it's to be obediant to Christ Jesus who allowed himself to be spit on, beaten, mocked, flogged and crucified on a cross all so we could spend eternity with him in heaven. Had Jesus been the voted most popular prophet in Jerusalem, I doubt he would have ever made it to that redeeming cross where he shed his blood for our sins.

Here's the comparison chart link:
http://www.crossroad.to/charts/cultural-Christianity.html

No comments: