Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Shack

One of the biggest books in Christendom right now is 'The Shack'. It seems like just about everywhere I go I find someone who has read it or is currently reading it and for the most part people seem to really like it. This is a bit concerning to me as the book was written by a person who is a self proclaimed Universalist. This should not be too surprising if you've read the book and are at least a bit discerning since one of the points he makes in the book is that Jesus is 'A' way and not necessarily the only way to heaven. This is a huge problem but just one of many.

Here is a video put together by 'Way of the Master' that highlights 13 heresies found in 'The Shack'.



To see the entire sermon go to this site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read it Marc? I don't remember any of this in it! I read it quickly, but, still. I didn't take it's words for gold & knew some of it was obviously "off kilter." But it HAS changed many lives to understand the love of Jesus better, is that a bad thing? But, again, I don't remember any of the things he point out, nor do I remember it saying Jesus was "A" way, not THE way. Interesting. So people shouldn't read it & get anything out of it, as another story to read? (since it's all not true anyway) Just curious. Or do you feel it's being too unguarded? Thanks for always challenging me!
~Emily : )

Marc Hamer said...

Hi Emily, which Emily is this?

In regard to the book, I think if you're a mature Christian it's probably ok to read it but there are plenty of good books to read out there which begs the question, why?

As one wise man said, just because you're thirsty doesn't mean you need to drink out of the toilet.

I would be a little skeptical about any book other than the bible changing lives.

I've seen many people over the years get mixed up in bad teaching and justify it by saying they had been blessed. What does it mean to be blessed? Many times people associate blessing with feelings which makes them no different than many cult followers.

Bottom line, test all things in light of scripture (Acts 17).